freecats-dev

[Freecats-Dev] TR: RWS Group Tools

From: Kemper DOC (Nerim)
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] TR: RWS Group Tools
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:26:35 +0200

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Henri Chorand [mailto:address@hidden
Date: vendredi 20 juin 2003 17:26
À: address@hidden
Objet: RE: RWS Group Tools

Hello Yves,

> It would be great indeed if they were in the Open
> Source community. I'm all for it. But unfortunately
> I don't decided these things. And so far I haven't
> been able to be convincing enough.

That may change. Or you might be able to contribute to other (free) software
projects - like our own, Free CATS, of course ;-)
See at http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/freecats

Seriously, though, we started six months ago by reviewing existing
proprietary CAT software, designing a specifications document and building
up a development roadmap. "We" is in fact:
- (like myself) a small group of technical translators (with higher than
average knowledge of computing), NOT experts in the latest development
tools. A number of these happen to live in Brittany.
- around 30 readers of a mailing list (the only active part of the project
for now: no code has been released yet)

This is going to change gradually, as we were just joined by an experienced
(and available during a few months) open source developer. We intend to
start by developing a TM server.

> I'm working on the next version of Rainbow and it will use a much more
> modular approach, so non-RWS modules (utilities, filters, etc.) could be
> plugged in easily. But it'll take some time. A few more filters are under
> development (RC, etc.) and some of them are even accessible for testing
> at http://dotnet.goglobalnow.net/ if you have nothing else to do (try the
> comparison of two version of RC files for example
> (http://dotnet.goglobalnow.net/Comparison.aspx)).

I'm CC'ing this message to our mailing list so that other (and possibly more
available) folks can give it a try.

Not being a true developer, I won't dwelve into details for now, but
basically, if you make some materials available (e.g. specs, or plug-in
API), it might help others to join.

Note that we don't disregard cooperation with proprietary software, in our
eyes, there is room for all options.

> Thank you for your feedback. By the way, feel free to ask
> questions or give
> me ideas. See also http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rwstools/
> for FAQ on the tools, etc.

You might subscribe to our mailing list and contribute whenever you have
time and when things of interest for you come up. At a later stage, we
intend to assess XLIFF more in detail and either select it, or follow a
similar approach.

> Kenavo,

J'allais le dire ;-)

Kind regards,

Henri Chorand
Manager

Kemper DOC   Documentation Engineering
Documentation - Translation - Localization - Referencing

12 impasse Le Roux - 29000 Quimper - France
Web   www.kemperdoc.com
Tel. +33 298 533 482
Fax  +33 298 533 761