freecats-dev

[Freecats-Dev] A modest proposal

From: Michael Roberts
Subject: [Freecats-Dev] A modest proposal
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:33:11 -0500

I suggested this before, but (as usual) I managed to reply only to Henri, not to the list as a whole, and he was pretty positive about it, so here goes. I would love to spend some time cranking out an initial version of whatever tools we like, in Python, but my financial situation is quite dire.

I'd like to propose the following. I do technical translation in addition to programming, from German or French primarily, into English (I've also been known to do pharmaceutical German, and general Spanish and Italian, and business French, and anything else I can get my hands on.) If anybody can subcontract translation to me at 8 cents per word (my emergency rate) -- heck, this week I think I'll take 7 cents -- with enough work (say, 2-3000 words per day) that I don't sit around in a funk wondering how I'm going to feed the kids, well, consider me engaged at half-time for translation and maybe a quarter to a third for programming. I'm pretty good at both, you know.

Anyway, this is a win-win situation. I'm pretty good at translation, and I'm really good at programming. Nobody's losing money by sending me translation work, and yet it's equivalent to funding programming for the project. It sure would be convenient for me.

My translation resume is online on my site at http://www.vivtek.com/xlation_resume.html -- I'll be grateful for any leads anybody may have. The tech resume is at http://www.vivtek.com/michael_resume.html . I've got a pretty good sketch of an initial set of FreeCAT tools, so it wouldn't be too much trouble to get it all off the ground, if I only could get my stress level down far enough.

Michael