freecycle-users

[Freecycle-users] Freecycle problems in ubuntu studio 9.10

From: Ross Maclachlan
Subject: [Freecycle-users] Freecycle problems in ubuntu studio 9.10
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:21:58 +0000

Hi,

Is anyone using freecycle without problems in 9.10?

For me there are are number of problems which are apparent in both the repository version and compiling myself. I use it with Jack, rt and my audigy 2.

When selecting a wav, the preview function is broken and has a loud buzzing noise along with stuttering playback. Not that big a deal, but the first indication that there is something wrong.

The wavs I am using are 48khz files, but freecycle states that the project is 44.1 even when jack is set to 48khz. Playback seems to be at the correct speed though. There are occasional crashes due to segmentation faults during extended use.

I am unable to manually edit beatlines i.e. insert my own or move those that were auto-detected. This the real deal breaker for me as the autodetect feature always fails to pick up the last slice of the break. The work around is to set auto detect sensitivity to maximum and delete beatlines I don't want - but this is messy and still doesn't allow me to adjust positions more precisely.

The bpm detection is way out - 100bpm wav shows as 197 bpm. Pressing the the timestretch button causes a crash regardless of the bpm value.

Rhythm Ferret in Ardour works well as a slicer and is very close to being a replacement to freecycle - it also uses rubberband which is much better than soundtouch. However, I want to sequence in midi with a controller and exporting 1 slice at a time is clumsy compared to the intended functionality of freecycle. Would be great if there is an easy fix to my set-up with freecycle which 0t me is an essential app.

Thanks,

Ross