Re: [Freeipmi-devel] RMCP ping/pongs figured out, maybe a BMC bug??

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] RMCP ping/pongs figured out, maybe a BMC bug??
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:01:40 -0800

Hey AB, Bill,

Sorry for this mass of e-mails.  I re-read the specs *again* and I
mis-interpreted.  But I believe there still may be a bug ... In table
12-6 of the IPMI spec ..

"0-FEh, generated by remote console. This is an RMCP version of a
sequence number. Values 0-254 (0-FEh) are used for RMCP request/response
messages. 255 indicates the message is unidirectional and not part of a
request/response pair."

And in the ASF documentation:

"A value of 255 (FFh) indicates that the associated message is not a
request-response type message."

To me, this suggests that the BMC should not accept any ping messages
with a message tag of 255, because RMCP ASF messges are always
request/response messages.

Anyways, I think some errata in Table 12-6 of the IPMI spec would be
nice.  I'm sure I won't be the only one confused by this in the future ...

Thanks ... Everyone have a great Thanksgiving ...