Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: [llnl-devel] Sounds good ... I'll start adding

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: [llnl-devel] Sounds good ... I'll start adding the packet dump functions into a new
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:27:45 -0800

> 2) protocol changes - say version 2 of the protocol comes out. It
> wouldbe useful to be able to use the same data structures and
> possibly have
> two different packet representations that are sent over the wire. Both
> contain most of the same information but maybe V2 includes more
> information than is in V1.

Oh yeah, that's a great point.  Recently, the IPMI 1.5 errata added an
"optional byte" of status information to the Get Chassis Status command.
 So the Get Chassis Status structure is already broken for some IPMI
implementations.

See page 39 of the errata:
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/spec.htm