[Freeipmi-devel] Re: Am confused: /usr/bin/poweroff command and FreeIPMI

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Am confused: /usr/bin/poweroff command and FreeIPMI
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:30:25 -0800

,----[ address@hidden ]
| When you say "...ipmipower tool has been obsoleted by FreeIPMI...",
| are you referring to the the /usr/local/cli/dpccli and
| /usr/local/cli/dpcproxy programs..?
`----
I thought you were using CDC's old ipmipower tool.

cli/dpcproxy is a part of Intel's proprietary platform management
solution called ISM.

FreeIPMI is a GPL'ed alternative to ISM. "ipmipower" is a part of
FreeIPMI's remote console software. We are nearing our first
release. I will write to you about FreeIPMI advantages in a separate
email.

,----[ address@hidden ]
| Am a little confused.. since the dpccli and dpcproxy do work perfectly
| at this time for power on/off/reset control.
|
| My question is with regards the standard shutdown command
| /usr/bin/poweroff which is used on all Linux systems.. with or without
| IPMI based motherboards. I have several desktops that do a graceful OS
| shutdown and then kill power to disk and fans when /usr/bin/poweroff
| command is executed.
`----
You need to enable APM or ACPI driver to completely poweroff the
system.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>