[Freeipmi-devel] Re: [llnl-devel] Re: power control and BMC configuratio

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: [llnl-devel] Re: power control and BMC configuration problem
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:45:36 -0800

Hi Al,

I am no switch expert, just theoretical guess.

Condition to reproduce:
- when kernel halts but system is ON.

Crossover cable works: (reason)
- because it is point to point. Any packet you drop on the network
reaches the other end and BMC responds. (no switching or routing)

Cause of problem:
BMC does not respond to ARP queries after OS takes over. When OS stops
responding to ARP requests, switch has no way to associate a MAC
address to a port.

Debug:
Cisco switch - Manually associate a MAC address to port

Questions:
Don't these switches cache the association?

-ab