[Freeipmi-devel] Re: [llnl-devel] Re: power control and BMC configuratio

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: [llnl-devel] Re: power control and BMC configuration problem
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:31:02 -0800

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| My debugging has shown that tiger4 BMCs never respond to ARP requests.
| When I tried to enable "BMC-generated ARP responses", the BMC gave me
| "invalid configuration option" errors.  My belief is that tiger4 BMCs
| only send out gratuitous ARPs, and it is the job of the
| switch/router/ethernet to see the gratuitous ARPs and cache the MAC
| address of the card.
`----

I believe we are facing "OS-Absent problems with ARP"
See IPMI 1.5 rev1.1 - Section 12.7.1 - PDF Page# 141

Possible solutions are also described in Section 12.7.2.

My recommendations:
1) Run a proxy ARP daemon. Robin mentioned you are already
running such service in your network for some switches.
2) Gratuitous ARPs

I will take a look at these commands and fix them. They are supported
by Intel's BMC. (Ian, can you take a look at this)
PDF Page# 256
- Enable BMC Generated ARP Responses
- Enable BMC Generated Gratuitous ARP Responses

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| > Questions: Don't these switches cache the association?
|
| I'm not 100% sure.  I do know that after we halt a machine, the ARP
| cache entries in various thunder nodes are still up to date (seen
| through /sbin/arp -a) ...
`----
You have to see the ARP table of the cisco switch.

-ab