[Freeipmi-devel] Re: [llnl-devel] Re: power control and BMC configuratio

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: [llnl-devel] Re: power control and BMC configuration problem
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:17:00 -0800

> I believe we are facing "OS-Absent problems with ARP"
> See IPMI 1.5 rev1.1 - Section 12.7.1 - PDF Page# 141

That was my original belief.  But I believe "OS-Absent problems with
ARP" should exist both when the system is halted and when the system is
powered down.  This was the problem we had several weeks ago when we
could not ipmipower nodes that were powered off.

I think there is specifically some issue with bringing down an ethernet
card AND gratuitous arps AND the cisco switch configuration that is
causing this.  Ben had the idea that there may be an issue with the
cisco switch's auto-negotiation.  When the system brings the ethernet
card down, it puts the ethernet card into a funny state that negotiates
with the switch strangely.  But when the node is powered off, the
ethernet card is put into a happy state that negotiates properly with
the switch.  Cisco.com shows that some of their switches do funny things
to handle gratuitous ARP spoofing, so that could be an issue as well.

> I will take a look at these commands and fix them. They are supported
> by Intel's BMC. (Ian, can you take a look at this)

Just tried again, and specifically, I get an error code of CC, "invalid
data in field request" (Table 5-2 completion codes) ...

> You have to see the ARP table of the cisco switch.

Does anyone over there know cisco switches well?  Right now we're all
mindlessly typing switch commands hoping we find something we like.