[Freeipmi-devel] IPMI Session Setup Problem (Bryan Rice please look)

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] IPMI Session Setup Problem (Bryan Rice please look)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:05:42 -0800

Hey Ab, Bryan,

I'm wondering if you have thoughts on the best way to the handle the
following issue IPMI session setup problem, Bryan, do you think you
could ask some Intel folks??

Send Get Session Challenge Request
Get Session Challenge Response w/ sessionid1 and challenge string1 is
lost on the network
Retransmit Get Session Challenge Request
Recv Get Session Challenge Response w/ sessionid2 and challenge string2

And similarly,

Send Get Session Challenge Request
Timeout and retransmit Get Session Challenge Request
Recv Get Session Challenge Response w/ sessionid1 and challenge string1
Recv Get Session Challenge Response w/ sessionid2 and challenge string2

This issue has occurred very rarely, but I have observed it a few times.

I re-programmed ipmipower to simulate both of these situations, and
after doing so, it seems there is difficulty communicating with the
BMC if two "Get Session Challenge" commands succeed with the same
username and same source port.  Is it possible the BMC drops packets
assuming this is some type of brute force attack??