[Freeipmi-devel] E1000 patch and other stuff

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] E1000 patch and other stuff
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:38:02 -0800

1) I've verified that commenting out the e1000_suspend in
e1000_notify_reboot fixes the power control halting problem on thunder.
Finally!!!  Thanks AB.

2) Calling e1000_remove or pci_unregister_driver instead of
e1000_suspend will not work, because this is the same code path taken as
"rmmod e1000".  We get the "unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0 to
become free. Usage count = 2" bug.  Whatever state the ethernet card is
in at this point, we have difficulty doing power control (although, I
noticed that packet drops weren't as severe, so I was able to "sneak in"
a power control operation) ...

3) I still cannot get the halting problem or "rmmod e1000" problem to
occur on tdev.  Thus, raising my suspicions of a race or scalability
problem, that is the "real bug" ...

4) Tomorrow, Jason and I are going to packet sniff the switch, and make
sure that packets are coming through the switch to the ethernet card
when a system is halted.  If that is the cause, we can eliminate the
switch as a factor in the "real bug" ...