[Freeipmi-devel] Future re-organization of FreeIPMI source code base

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Future re-organization of FreeIPMI source code base
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:18:20 -0800

Hey AB,

Jim and I were talking about the organization of the FreeIPMI
libraries and utilities.  At some point, we feel that the FreeIPMI
source base should be re-organized to support a FreeIPMI "Core" and a
number of FreeIPMI subpackages.

Right now, the organization is set such that we'll have a number of
rpms.

libfreeipmi-a-b-c rpm
ipmipower-l-m-n rpm
fish-x-y-z rpm
utils-o-p-q rpm

The a-b-c vs. x-y-z is intentional, to show that all of the rpm
version numbers can be different.

I propose the following organization which will be built by a single
freeipmi.spec file.

freeipmi-e-f-g
freeipmi-ipmipower-e-f-g
freeipmi-utils-e-f-g

The code repository, would be setup like:

freeipmi/
freeipmi/src/
freeipmi/src/libfreeipmi
freeipmi/src/fish
freeipmi/src/utils
freeipmi/src/ipmipower

libfreeipmi, fish, and some utils will be part of the "core" package.
The subpackages utils and ipmipower would have an rpm dependency on
the "core" package.

There are a number of advantages to this organization.

1) RPM numbers will be consistent between all the rpm packages.
   Making it easier for users to upgrade their system.  They will not
   have to know fiddle with what library versions work with what
   utils/ipmipower and vice versa.

2) this organization forces developers to double-check and make sure
   that changes to libfreeipmi do not break fish/utils/ipmipower.

#2 is the major reason to do this.

Let me know what you think.