Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Different LAN authentication support checked in

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Different LAN authentication support checked in
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:26:43 -0800

> Do you think you can add your MDx option here?. You can take extra
> args if needed?

It can be added.  All I need to do is add a auth_code_len parameter.
I'll add it ...

I assume I'll end up breaking fish if I do this??

> I am still not completely convinced to modify fiid_obj_t as
> struct. Keeping it as simple byte array gives lot of flexibility. How
> ever on the other side, number of arguments passed are reduced.

I guess my primary problem is with functions like

assemble_ipmi_lan_pkt (fiid_obj_t obj_hdr_rmcp, fiid_obj_t
obj_hdr_session, fiid_template_t tmpl_hdr_session, fiid_obj_t
obj_msg_hdr, fiid_obj_t obj_cmd, fiid_template_t tmpl_cmd, u_int8_t
*pkt, u_int32_t pkt_len)

Here, you pass in obj_hdr_rmcp and obj_msg_hdr without any information
on the length of the buffer.  If we don't have a length stored within
the fiid_obj_t pointer, then perhaps we should force passing a template
everywhere.

> What about daemon services, like Jim pointed out?

True.  As I have continued programming, I am beginning to wonder if we
should move to having a "freeipmi-errno" set of error codes rather than
just setting the libc errno.  There are situations I've found that there
is no appropriate errno to return to the user.