[Freeipmi-devel] freeipmi sel vs. EFI SELView

From: Robin Goldstone
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] freeipmi sel vs. EFI SELView
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:06:17 -0700

We recently had occasion to send a bunch of sel logs to Intel for their
analysis of some failures we've been seeing on our tiger4 nodes (FRB3
timeouts).  We gathered logs using the freeipmi sel utility and also at
Intel's request we sent EFI SELView logs.  The Intel engineer (Bryan Rice)
offered this feedback on the freeipmi sel output:

> Two things with Free IPMI SEL viewer that I would point out.
> 1.  SELVIEW prints out description of post error which is valuable for
> debug while Free IPMI SEL Viewer does not. *SELVIEW : System Firmware Error
> (POST Error). POST Code: 8140 - Processor 01: failed FRB level 3 timer.
> *Free IPMI SEL viewer :   System Firmware Error (POST Error)
>
> 2.  SELVIEW prints out description of processor error while Free IPMI SEL
> Viewer prints out. *SELVIEW :  Correctable error in Processor CPU2 - J7M1
> *Free IPMI SEL viewer :   Processor #0:IERR:SMI Handler

Can the freeipmi sel tool be improved to produce output that matches that of
SELView?

Thanks,
Robin