[Freeipmi-devel] Re: running ipmiping

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: running ipmiping
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:55:59 -0700

Hi Bala,

I documented this in the KNOWN ISSUES of the ipmiping and rmcpping
manpages.  The problem is the BMC gets confused if you send packets with
duplicate sequence numbers very quickly.

I've been debating if I should randomize the starting sequence numbers
of ipmi/rmcp-ping to give us a greater liklihood of avoiding the
problem.  Think I should??

Hmmmm, I never thought of doing this before with ipmi/rmcpping (I did it
in ipmipower), but the "confused BMC" problems seems to only happen when
the packets are sent from the same port.  Perhaps randomizing ports
would be just as good a solution.  I'll stick it in my TODO list in cvs
for consideration.