Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Using libfreeipmi interface

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Using libfreeipmi interface
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:11:19 -0700

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for trying to support libfreeipmi with ipmiutil.  I think a good
place to start off for how to use the LAN interface would be
libfreeipmi/src/ipmi-ping.c and ipmiping/src/ipmiping.c. The code in
ipmi-ping.c is a wrapper for a generic send/select/read loop that is
common to ipmiping and rmcpping.  The code in ipmiping.c contains the
code to construct and parse packets.  You should be able to see how
packets are constructed, sent, read packets with arbitrary buffer sizes.
and parsed/checked.

For KCS, the construction/parsing of packets is similar.  You just need
to call ipmi_kcs_cmd() or ipmi_kcs_cmd_interruptible() instead of
ipmi_lan_sendto() and ipmi_lan_recvfrom().  I'm not sure of situations
where you may get a response from the BMC of arbitrary size when working
in-band.  Presumably everything will be bounded by some length, and we
have accounted for those varying lengths in the templates
(fiid_template_t types).  Is there is a situation that you are
encountering this issue?  I suppose we could create a helper function
that allocates space based on an integer parameter rather than a
template parameter. AB?? Ian??

I'm not sure about AB's schedule for putting out a hackers guide.  I
will put libfreeipmi examples onto our collective todo list.