Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Using libfreeipmi interface

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Using libfreeipmi interface
Date: 28 Oct 2004 17:55:21 -0700

Andrew> I also found a problem with the IPMI_LAN_SEQ_NUM_MAX (=0x3F).
Andrew> There isn't any precedent in IPMI 1.5 for this, and limiting the
Andrew> 32- bitsequence number to 6 bits causes some problems, since the
Andrew> BMC LAN won't handle wrapping the sequence number back to 0 or 1
Andrew> after 63 (0x3f).

Al> I'm not quite convinced this is a problem.  The bounds check makes
Al> the user knowledgeable to the fact that arbitrary sequence numbers
Al> aren't allowed.  I spoke to a few other developers I work with, and
Al> they feel that the bounds checking is more appropriate.  Ab, Ian,
Al> Bala, what are your thoughts??

Hmm, where is the sequence number field specified?  The closest I see
is Figure 12-4 which is unfortunately quite unclear (to me at least).
It doesn't say how many bits are taken by the LUN and how many by Rqseq.
How have we come by tmpl_lan_msg_hdr_r[sq] - by experiment?