[Freeipmi-devel] New utilities using FreeIPMI

From: Cress, Andrew R
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] New utilities using FreeIPMI
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:10:10 -0500

Folks,

Thanks for your help in resolving my issues.

I have now released the version of the IPMI Management Utilities that
supports FreeIPMI at http://ipmiutil.sf.net, and FreeIPMI does broaden
the capability of these tools, so that they can still be used if an IPMI
driver is not present.

I have two suggestions for a TODO list:

1) It would be nice to have a "passthrough" type support in the
libfreeipmi for IPMI commands that are formed by another application, so
that it would just use the data bytes and data length instead of
templates.  I've worked around this by dynamically building a template
(that won't otherwise be used), but it does add some memory and CPU time
to do so.

2) It would be nice to add SMBus support to libfreeipmi (NSC chipsets
use this).  This lends itself nicely to user-space libraries, since
lm-sensors is set up that way already.  There is some existing code
implementing IPMI over SMBus at http://sf.net/projects/openipmi. The
OpenIPMI driver v33 has an smb module, which uses lm-sensors via a
kernel thread.

Andy