Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Useless bmc-config parameters?

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Useless bmc-config parameters?
Date: 23 Nov 2004 18:17:24 -0800

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| I'm writing up a doc for bmc-config so that the average Joe will know
| what these fields mean.
`----
Let me know when you are done, I will include it along with the User
Guide.

Next release of bmc-config will have --auto and --expert features.

*) --auto:  will attempt to configure the BMC with default appropriate
settings. For example, default no password account, network settings
captured from currently configured interface ...

*) --expert: current style

and

*) default bmc-conf file will be very minimal - only the basic required
fields.

Current implementation is very verbose and is designed to for more
control with low level access.

It will be really nice if some one writes a curses front-end to assist
with the the bmc-conf file generated in expert mode.

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| After looking into it a bit, the fields "Lan_Eanble_Link_Auth" and
| "Lan_Enable_Restrict_To_Callback" don't seem to make much sense.  My
| understanding is these fields are specific for serial/modem channels.
| So even though they are available to be modified under the "Set User
| Access Command", I think they are pretty useless when configuring an Lan
| channel.  Perhaps we should get rid of it??
`----

Yes they are valid only for serial/modem channel. We also do
not have any plans to support Serial/Modem in future. They are
currently included just to make completeness of
implementation. Instead of commenting the code out, we can produce
them only in expert mode.  What do you think?

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>