Re: [Freeipmi-devel] spec file problem

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] spec file problem
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:32:58 -0800

,----[ "Cress, Andrew R" <address@hidden> ]
| For IPMI SMBus systems, the IPMI commands use I2C, and the Linux
| kernel direction for I2C seems to be to consolidate support of
| various I2C chipsets around lm-sensors, and adoption into
| distributions of lm-sensors is growing.  The leverage for user-space
| programs to not have to develop chipset drivers for each platform is
| helpful.
|
| So, for a future FreeIPMI SMBus implementation, IMO, FreeIPMI should
| use lm-sensors, which provides a user-space API.  The OpenIPMI
| project has also taken this approach for SMBus IPMI.
|
| This corroborates the fact that the two should play nice in the same
| sandbox (option 2 below).  Eventually they should play together. :-)
`----
Hi Chris,
Yes thats the way to go. We already have IPMI SSIF driver working on
top of I2C device interface on a Intel P4 motherboard.  (How ever
installation of lm-sensors package is not required, I2C driver is a
part of default Linux kernel). But it is still nice to have both the
packages co-exist for various practical reasons.

I will take your advice. Clearly everyone is in favor of Option 2
(changing package names).

BTW, I added link to your IPMI-Util project from our home page. I am
now evaluating the rq_seq problem. Thanks for your contribution.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>