Re: [Freeipmi-devel] register spacing

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] register spacing
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 00:18:38 -0800

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| Hey all,
|
| My other concern is how to add this to the API.  Right now the
| register spacing is hard coded as +1 in
| libfreeipmi/src/ipmi-kcs-interface.h.  I'm hardcoding +4 for my
| testing/debugging right now.  But a long term solution requires
| something else.  Almost all of the kcs interface only allows the
| user to pass in the base port address, but not a register offset.
|
| There are several ways to fix this problem.  I think anything
| involving an API change isn't one of them.  We could add a global
| variable and ipmi_kcs_register_spacing() initialization function?
| Configuration files are also possible.
`----

Added support for register spacing. KCS driver init function accepts
reg_space argument additionally. I have already updated bmc-watchdog
and fish core to use Ian's ipmi-locate code. Looks like Ian already
had the code for register spacing but commented them out while adding
PCI locate.

Another change - sms_io_base is taken through the KCS driver init
function. This has resulted in API changes across the code base. But I
think change is appropriate.  I am going to introduce another layer to
unify all inband and out of band drivers under one common API set.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>