Re: [Freeipmi-devel] ipmi_lan_open_session() question

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] ipmi_lan_open_session() question
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:59:36 -0700

,----[ "James Laros" <address@hidden> ]
| I have a question about the usage of ipmi_lan_open_session.  First
| off I don't see it used in any of the utilities that come with the
| distro? Any reason?
`----
libfreeipmi driver APIs will completely change in the next
release. Thats one reason "fish" and tools waited for long time for
network support. Newer APIs are very easy to use and driver
independent. Same tools will work for inband and out-of-band drivers
transparently. Refer to freeipmi/doc/example/udm-test.c in the CVS.

,----[ "James Laros" <address@hidden> ]
| More specific question if I use the call as follows the Activate
| Session Application Response returns a completion code of 0xcc
| (Invalid data field in request)
`----
This means your input field(s) is wrong. You should compare your
values with one of freeipmi's tools (like ipmipower). Bala wrote a
simple UDP server to dump the values for debugging. It will be
included in the next release. First make sure ipmipower, ipmiping
tools work, before you start with your own tool.

,----[ "James Laros" <address@hidden> ]
| Wasn't sure if I need to pass in something for session_seq_num or
| session_id??? In the request message the session_id seems be set
| properly to a temp session id, session_seq is 0 which should be ok
| yes?
`----
With the newer APIs, session_seq, session_id crap all handled
internally by the driver.

,----[ "James Laros" <address@hidden> ]
| By the way it seems to return < 0 but set errno to Success??
`----
Thanks for reporting, this is a bug. lan_open_session returns without
setting errno properly when ipmi_comp_test fails.  I have fixed it in
the CVS now.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31