Re: [Freeipmi-devel] [sr #103638] debugging in fish/sensors/bmc-config/e

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] [sr #103638] debugging in fish/sensors/bmc-config/etc.
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:34:15 -0800

,----[ Albert Chu <address@hidden> ]
| Whoah!  Why the sudden change in opinion? :-)
`----
In the past, much of the tools were written by Bala and me. Guile
Scheme is like a rapid application development tool for us. We can
implement the tools and maintain them with very less effort. Much of
our focus were on the driver and C APIs. If you notice, only the user
interface and control-flow code is in Scheme.

But now, GNU FreeIPMI project has grown bigger and seeking wider
adoption/contribution from the community. Most of our users are system
administrators and system programmers who are C and perl/python
hackers. We certainly want them too hack and contribute.

So moving forward, all our code base will be in C language. "fish"
will continue to exist as a high-level language binding -
"scripting-interface". Routine maintenance tasks such as PEF email/SMS
alerts, SEL to mysql log can be easily achieved through fish.
After Guile gets python->scheme translator, users can seamlessly
use Python scripting over fish.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31