[Freeipmi-devel] Re: symbols missing problem

From: Albert Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: symbols missing problem
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:19:27 -0800

Hey Rene,

> As root I run this and get:
>
> athena /root# bmc-config --checkout
> ipmi_open_inband(): No such device

This is the Memory Mapped I/O problem that we spoke about earlier.  This
is the short story, there various permutations of ways to do in-band
communication with the BMC (IPMI service processor) in Linux.  Currently
FreeIPMI covers 3 of them (I think).  Several aren't practically used at
all in the world, so there are no machines to develop against.  Your's
is the first one we've ever seen with a KCS Memory Mapped I/O interface :-)

In the mean time, the IBM configuration tool should work to atleast
setup the minimum IP address, username, and password.  Once that is
complete, you can use the IPMI over LAN to do all of the remaining setup.

> The only other SUSE architecture I have is i686 so I will build the
> RPMS on it and send you the RPMS.

Cool, thanks!

925-422-5311