Re: [Freeipmi-devel] bmc-config: PEF config checkout

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] bmc-config: PEF config checkout
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:40:02 -0700

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 08:59:57AM -0700, Al Chu wrote:
,----
| > - Several *_commit functions in bmc-sol-conf-section.c used to
| >    free the kv->value before actually parsing it, resulting in
| >    the actual parameter being set to 0.
|
| ARGH!  This code worked on another machine.  I suppose the
| randomness of the compile/memory usage would allow the value read
| from the invalid pointer to still be correct for other machines.
`----
Memory de-allocation routines usually don't take extra effort to
destroy the content. They just de-reference the pointer.

In this case, because the free'd pointer is referenced immediately, it
never faulted. Compilers usually can't see these bugs.

I will use some memory debuggers to catch such errors and report soon.

925-422-5311