[Freeipmi-devel] Re: Hi..

From: Anand Babu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Hi..
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:00:44 -0400

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 01:12:50PM +0530, Sharad Chandra wrote:
,----
| Hi Anand Babu,
|
| I am new to freeipmi. I installed it using ports on my local
| system. I only get man pages of tools like ipmi-locate,
| ipmi-raw.. etc..  but i am not getting man pages of function
| provided in #include <freeipmi/*> like 'get_sdr_full_record,
| get_sdr_compact_record from ipmi-sensor-api.h'. I don't know wether
| it is not properly installed or there is no man page.. I didn't get
| if from Internet either.
|
| If you have any documentation pls tell me where to get.
|
| Thanks
| Sharad Chandra
`----

Hi Sharad,
It is very difficult for us to maintain API documentation. We had
example code and we even dropped even that. We had Scheme language
bindings for scripting and no body used it. Most people just browsed
through the code and started picking up.

libfreeipmi is very organized and layered. Read the code and ask us
what ever doubts you have. We will be more than happy to answer.

CVS code has lot more functionalities than old previous release. We
are preparing for new release shortly.

SDR (sensor data repository) has different type of sensor records. The
way IPMI implements sensors is through generic A/D converters and
letting the software convert and calibrate the readings as dictated by
the values in SDR. This is cheaper and software controlled.

The Full Sensor Record can be used to describe any type of sensor. The
Compact sensor record saves space, but has limitations in the sensors
it can describe. The Full record is defined as a 64-byte record, while
the Compact record is defined as 48-bytes. If you want to know more,
easiest way is to just "find" these tokens inside IPMI
specification or drop us a mail at freeipmi-devel(at)gnu.org mailing
list.

If you  tell us what exactly you want to do on top of freeipmi, I can
give suggestions.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31