Re: [Freeipmi-devel] IPMI Serial Interface (Terminal Mode) PowerPC

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] IPMI Serial Interface (Terminal Mode) PowerPC
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:41:41 -0700

Hi Deepak,

> Layer 1 -> My Application
> Layer 2 -> libfreeipmi
> Layer 3 -> Terminal Mode Serial Interface Driver (Linux)
> Layer 4 -> Serial Driver (MPC8560 SCC)
>
> Is the above stacking correct as per FreeIPMI framework or I haven't
> understood the things?

Yup.  You're correct. However (see below)

> If it is correct then is Terminal Mode Serial Interface Driver (Linux)
> available with
> freeIPMI and what all is required to customise it for using MPC8560 serial
> driver(SCC)?

Currently, FreeIPMI does not have a serial driver "integrated" within
the library.  i.e., I can do something like this (pseudo-code):

ipmi_open_driver(LAN);
ipmi_cmd_power_control(OFF);
ipmi_close_driver(LAN);

put you can't do:

ipmi_open_driver(SERIAL);
ipmi_cmd_power_control(OFF);
ipmi_close_driver(SERIAL);

libfreeipmi could be used to help build the IPMI packets you need for
serial communication.  However, some additions would be needed for
helping to build the headers/trailers for serial IPMI packets.  I'm not
sure how much work would entail.  I looked at the serial section of the
IPMI spec for the first time about 10 minutes ago :-O

> If it is not available where can I get the same?

I'm not sure if OpenIPMI's libraries support serial, but it may be worth
checking out.

Al