[Freeipmi-devel] ASF protocol support

From: Jeremy Jackson
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] ASF protocol support
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 07:57:43 -0500

Hello freeipmi,

I have a number of Tyan S2865 motherboards, which have Broadcom BCM5721
gigE NIC onboard.  This contains a processor that can act as as an
ethernet interface for an SMDC card (IPMI-over-lan using RMCP) when host
processor is not running, or with a different firmware, it can process
ASF commands (over RMCP) , which can allow access to the SMBUS, and with
proper support of devices there, read sensors, reboot and control power
cycling, etc.

If anyone knows of existing ASF tools though, I would prefer to start
there.  Extensive Googling and searching of Broadcom and other vendor
websites, shows that ASF has been superceded, and any tools referred to
seem to no longer be available for download.

I see the "rmcpping" tool does send ASF Ping commands, and decodes the
ASF Pong replies, and it might be extended to provide ASF equivalents of
the ipmi* tools.

--
Jeremy Jackson
Coplanar Networks