Re: [Freeipmi-devel] sun20 workaround doesn't

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] sun20 workaround doesn't
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:00:12 -0700

Hey Dave,

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 15:19 +0100, Dave Love wrote:
> Al Chu <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hey Dave,
> >
> > Whew, I'm glad I have a relatively new sun board, this would have been
> > tough to figure out :-)
>
> Good.  I could have offered to let you on here.
>
> > Effectively, the "opensesspriv" workaround is also needed for the Sun
> > boards.  I've wrapped that workaround in as an automatic one for the Sun
> > workaround, so it should work now.  Test tar.gz is here:
> >
> > http://
> > ftp.zresearch.com/pub/freeipmi/qa-release/freeipmi-0.7.10.beta2.tar.gz
> >
> > It ends up I didn't see it before b/c the problem doesn't exist if you
> > default to the "admin" privilege level.  Some tools (such as bmc-info)
> > don't default to that.
> >
> > Could you let me know if it works?  Thanks.
>
> It seems to, though I still can't get ipmiconsole to function, which was
> the original issue.  It looks as if it just doesn't work with ILOM.
>
> In case it's useful to record the fact, for ILOM 2.0 I get:

Actually, it seems the sun20 workarounds are working correctly.  You are
able to authenticate.  The problem is ...

> # ipmiconsole -h ipmi101 -Wsun20
> [error received]: SOL unavailable

This typically means the config of the remote server is invalid.  We've
authenticated all the way through but SOL isn't turned on, so we exit
out.  I will admit, I have never gotten SOL to work on my motherboard
(w/ ipmitool either).  The ability to configure the SOL_Conf section via
bmc-config is broken (atleast in my firmware version).  Perhaps it has
to be configured via other Sun software or via the ILOM interface
itself?

> and for 1.0:
>
> # ipmiconsole -h ipmi060 -Wsun20
> ipmiconsole_submit_block: BMC Implementation
>
> and the ILOM doc seems to ignore the topic.

This typically means there is an IPMI implementation issue.  Have you
tried the "solport" or the "solpayloadsize" workarounds?  If either
one/both work, we'll just have to add Sun motherboards to the
workarounds list.