Re: [Freeipmi-devel] I just wonder if there is only CVS ;-)

From: Yaroslav Halchenko
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] I just wonder if there is only CVS ;-)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:53:33 -0500

Thank you Al for quick reply.

> Well there were no current plans.  However, I won't lie, I'm just lazy
> when it comes to conversion to newer better code repositories :-)
everyone is... now I am stuck with git (after CVS -> SVN -> GIT
evolution ;)

> Is this a specific request to move to GIT?
well -- it could be considered as advice (I believe that git is supported
at savanna) ;-)
Original the reason of my original email was -- I thought to check
if there are any plans so I would not duplicate the effort.

> I'm not sure if I would want
> to move to GIT, I would probably prefer SVN.  However, if it helps out
> Debian people, it will perhaps make me move faster :-)
well, imho stepping from CVS to SVN is not worth an effort of switching
at this point of progress -- they are both centralized VCS, thus
amount of advantages would be somewhat minuscule in comparison if you
switch to some reasonable DVCS (such as git ;)).  Also GIT is probably
closer to some ideas of CVS than SVN is (at least this is how I felt
about having branches in CVS in comparison to exposed directories in
SVN).

And No -- GIT is not required for Debian packaging... it is just that I
now (since I like to have it in git) would have to use git-cvsimport to
keep my GIT repository up-to-date to your CVS... May be at some point
you would try GIT with that repository and fell in love with it --
then transition to GIT would be more natural ;)

BTW, for whatever it is worth -- entire repository for freeipmi (as
imported via git-cvsimport) with checkout HEAD is 37M (.git itself is
only 17M, ie extracted sources take MORE than entire development
history). If you want I could email it to you (I want to reimport once
again to put proper names for login aliases as CVS reports -- may be you
have such file handy somewhere)?

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences