[Freeipmi-devel] RE: ipmi-dcmi testing results

From: Al Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] RE: ipmi-dcmi testing results
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:33:58 -0800

Hey Holger,

> Get power reading command reports only if the system is currently
> measuring the power (most DCMI with power management systems will
> report true). The get power limit reports the current settings and if
> (the) power limit is active. So our current interpretation of
> completion code 0x80 is a minor re-wording of 'No Set Power Limit' as
> 'No Power Limit Set' - and is used to report a deactivated power
> limit.

I see.  I guess another way to view it is if the sentence "No Set Power
Limit" is interpreted as:

No "Set Power Limit"

vs.

No set "Power Limit"

If it is the later, then I misinterpreted.

> Interesting to see, that in the end dcmitool and the DCTS behave
> differently.

If Fujitsu has interpreted this way (partially b/c of DCTS), I think
it's a good chance other companies have interpreted it this way too.  So
how about I make a special case.  If you are configuring w/
set-power-limit, but you can't call get-power-limit, then the user must
give values for all input fields (exception action, limit, time limit,
etc.).

> Again, thanks for the feedback

No problem at all.

> and maybe Intel can provide some more clarification someday.

Ultimately, that's probably what we'll need to wait for.  I'll ping
someone from Intel I've spoken with before, maybe he can offer some
insight.

Al