[Freeipmi-devel] Replacing ipmimonitoring tool w/ ipmi-sensors tool

From: Al Chu
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Replacing ipmimonitoring tool w/ ipmi-sensors tool
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:02:52 -0800

Hi everyone,

With some recent architectural changes, I am contemplating removing the
ipmimonitoring tool (don't worry, I'm leaving the libipmimonitoring
library).  Before I do this, I figure I'll ask the community if they
would have any problems.

The reasons for doing this are:

A) For FreeIPMI 0.9.X there will be a new --output-sensor-state option
in ipmi-sensors that accomplishes the sensor state interpretation that
ipmimonitoring/libipmimonitoring was once only capable of doing.

B) The default output of ipmimonitoring since 0.8.1 is now identical to
ipmi-sensors w/ the --output-sensor-state option.

If I remove ipmimonitoring, I would have a symlink pointing
ipmimonitoring to ipmi-sensors w/ the right options.

The primary negative to doing this is that the ipmimonitoring
--legacy-output option would effectively disappear (you would get the
--legacy-output of ipmi-sensors).