Re: [Freeipmi-devel] KCS Driver & SMS_ATN Register

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] KCS Driver & SMS_ATN Register
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:58:53 -0800

Hi Matt,

Anand wrote the KCS driver, so he'll respond too.

Re-reading the spec again and reading your comments, I think I
understand your situation.  You're looking to read the SMS_ATN register
so that you'll know whether a receive queue, event buffer, or whatever
other thing has occurred, then you'll do something appropriate given the
situation.  This is in contrast to the relative request-reply model of
the current driver. e.g. for IPMB, I poll the recieve queue. Correct?

Based on what you said below, here's my idea of how to implement what
you're thinking.

We'll add a function like ipmi_kcs_sms_atn_callback_register(), where
you register a function that will be called if SMS_ATN is set to 1.

Add another function, something like ipmi_kcs_sms_atn_spin(), that just
spins and checks SMS_ATN once in awhile.  It'll call the callback
whenever appropriate.  This is going to be like our "sleep" or "wait"
equivalent when your app is waiting to do something.

Within the KCS driver, check the SMS_ATN bit before any KCS read or
write operation done within the KCS driver.  If the SMS_ATN bit is 1,
call the callback.

So the net affect is an event can be generated whenever you are doing
KCS or you "sleep" w/ the spin function.  You're right, that the
downside is is that the user shouldn't use ipmi_kcs_cmd_api_ipmb() in
this situation (worst that happens is you get timeouts if you take a
message off the receive queue instead of libfreeipmi).  But I figure
this is a bit of advanced use, so they'll have to know that you
shouldn't use ipmi_kcs_cmd_api_ipmb().

Is this what you're looking for??

Al