Re: [Freeipmi-devel] watchdog problems on Sun X4100M2

From: Frank Steiner
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] watchdog problems on Sun X4100M2
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:12:34 +0200

Al Chu wrote

> Hi Frank,
>
> This sounded familiar.  There is this thread for not too long ago.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/freeipmi-users/2010-05/msg00017.html

Doh, I searched for the wrong keywords in the archive :-)

Yes, that's the same bug and if I get Dave's mail right he is seeing
the bug on the X4500 and X4200. If it's a X4200M2, it has the same
firmware as the X4100M2, and for this one the bug is not fixed in
the recent update.

> Same applies.  I can give a patch a shot, and you can try it out??  It

Of course I could, but I agree with you that it wouldn't be a good thing.
I can work without the daemon of course and use cron and a endless
while-loop to reset the timer, and I guess that's better than patching
around such an obvious bug.
I succeeded in triggering the bug without the bmc-watchdog by just
accessing the watchdog remotely via "ipmi <machine> ...  mc watchdog
get/reset".
Thus, Sun has no chance argueing it is some Linux problem with freeipmi etc.
And since we still have support for the X4100M2 I will demand a firmware
upgrade. Let's see what they do.

I just wanted to make sure there was an obvious workaround that I missed :-)
Thanks! And I will let you know what comes out of the Sun support request!

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/