[Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun ma

From: Dave Love
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun machines
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:30:47 +0100

Al Chu <address@hidden> writes:

> (Naturally, I added "confirmed to work around" based on the assumption
> you guys can confirm it for me :-)

I can't confirm it on either x4100 -- not x4100m2 -- (RedHat 5) or x4500
(Solaris).  In each case, the daemon reports:

  timer stopped by another process
  stopping bmc-watchdog daemon

Under Solaris, SMF restarts the daemon anyway, so it kind-of works, but
not under RedHat.

I'm running it as

  /usr/sbin/bmc-watchdog -d -u 4 -p 0 -a 1 -F -P -L -S -O -i 900 -e 60 -D
openipmi -W ignorestateflag

says ps, where I need the -D on x4100 or x4200m2 to avoid

  bmc-watchdog:  Get Watchdog Timer Error: BMC Busy

Ii think I have the latest firmware in each case -- some version of
2.0.2.5.

I wonder what's different between me and Frank.  I don't have time to
investigate immediately, but I'll try to later.

By the way, I know I'm running the right version as it accepts
ignorestateflag.  However, bmc-watchdog doesn't accept --version, though
it's in the --help output.

By the way 2, I noticed that it's still using GPLv2, not v3.  Is that an
oversight, or because the copyrights don't allow it?