Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Another FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaroun

From: Frank Steiner
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Another FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun machines
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:35:04 +0200

Hi Al,

Albert Chu wrote

> Hey Frank,
>
> That is really random stuff.  I am usually always willing to point the
> finger to myself and say "bug in FreeIPMI", but this is way too random.
> The "data not available" errors in the log indicate that the packets
> returned from the BMC are actually malformed.

yes, I'm pretty sure the BMC is just crapped.

> On the flip side, I've personally never tested on Solaris.  So who knows
> if the "/dev/bmc" was really programmed correctly.  I may have screwed
> up.

No, I'm running it on Linux. I thought my problems may show up because I am
*not* using the /dev/bmc device (because I think it's not available in
Linux?).

> Is this only happening on one motherboard?  I have this feeling that
> maybe the board is just busted.

No, it's on all our 8 X4100M2. However, the ELOMs on our 24 Sun X2200M2
are also very unreliable. They also like to timeout, return "unavaliable"
status or very weird values. But they don't shut the host down at least :-)
I think that SUNs has just been doing a bad job here and I don't think it's
worth the effort to hack workaround after workaround for such buggy
service processors.

cu,
Frank

--