[Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi-sensors abends when configuration file not spe

From: Dan Lukes
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: ipmi-sensors abends when configuration file not specified at all
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:51:46 +0200

On 08/16/10 19:55, Albert Chu:
This should already be handled.

Where you think it is handled ?

I found

cmd_args->config_file = NULL;
within _init_common_cmd_args (cmd_args)

only.

I found no other place called from ipmi-sensor that initialize config_file (not counting the command-line parser which doesn't apply when no --config-file option on command line)

What version of FreeIPMI are you running?

0.8.8

Perhaps your freeipmi.conf has some typo in it that triggers a
different bug?

I have no freeipmi.conf at all. I'm fully satisfied with the defaults.

If you will give me a hint where teh common.config_file is initialized to something else than NULL I will step the code in debugger and with some luck I will identify the place where the config_fiel is set back to NULL. Or, maybe, I will discover that code doesn't execute the line with initialization. But I can't found the line responsible for default initialization of config_file within ipmi-sensors's sources.

                                                Dan

I hit the bug in the

ipmi-sensors/src/ipmi-sensors-argp.c

In the case the configuration file is not specified at all, the

cmd_args->common.config_file == NULL

Such situation is not handled correctly, the NULL is dereferenced and
program abends.

I suggest not to call  config_file_parse() at all, when configration
doesn't exist, e.g.:

if (config_file_parse (cmd_args->common.config_file,

should be changed to

if (cmd_args->common.config_file != NULL&&  config_file_parse
(cmd_args->common.config_file,

I tried it on my system and it helped.

As alternative, such case can be handled inside of config_file_parse()
function.