RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Fujitsu's iRMC S2 - support for "get SEL entry

From: Liebig, Holger
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Fujitsu's iRMC S2 - support for "get SEL entry long text" within ipmi-oem
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:14:17 +0200

> Hi Dan,
>
> > In the fact, it would be better to use the function as part of
> > interpret-oem-data within ipmi-sel, but it require better knowledge of
> > current implementation of ipmi-sel than I have. Someone with better
> > skills may implement it (using the code from patch). Then I can help
> > with testing, if necessary.
>
> I had intended to add this into ipmi-sel, but w/o a mobo to test on I
> let it pass.  If you're game to test a patch for me, I'd be glad to
> implement it into ipmi-sel.  I'm busy right now, so it may take some
> time for me to get a patch together.

I can try to understand/dive into ipmi-sel and come up with something for
review. This would definitely be the better place to implement this feature.
But first I have to find an issue with the SDR cache: Al any idea why Get SDR
might try to read only 5 Bytes from Offset 0 instead of the previous 16bytes
when reading the last record 1770 (see attached debug output)?

> Short term, I think we can add this patch into ipmi-oem as an extra OEM
> option for Fujitsu motherboards.
>
> BTW, what mobo are you running this on, so I can document in the future.

This feature/OEM command is available on all current BMC's from Fujitsu, even
on the previous generation. The intention is to provide a consistent SEL
translation and severity assignment across different tools. This also works for
time stamped OEM SEL entries which we use for a limited auditing (e.g. login or
power control from IP a.b.c.d).
Unfortunately due to memory constrains in the previous BMC generation the
maximum length of a single response is limited to 64bytes, while on the current
product line you should be able to get the full 100bytes translated SEL text
with a single request at least over LAN. Maximum (non standard) KCS transfer
size is also different between current (255) and previous (64) generation, so
the code should compare the data received with the total length reported in the
response.

If you want to double check for support of this OEM command beforehand, you can
evaluate the Get Device Id response:
Vendor ID: 0x2880
ProductId: should be >= 0x0200

Holger