RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Fujitsu's SDR cache bug

From: Albert Chu
Subject: RE: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: Fujitsu's SDR cache bug
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:27:58 -0700

Hey Holger,

(BTW, I'm splitting this thread into two, so the response to the other
part is in the original thread).

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 08:14 -0700, Liebig, Holger wrote:

> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > > In the fact, it would be better to use the function as part of
> > > interpret-oem-data within ipmi-sel, but it require better knowledge of
> > > current implementation of ipmi-sel than I have. Someone with better
> > > skills may implement it (using the code from patch). Then I can help
> > > with testing, if necessary.
> >
> > I had intended to add this into ipmi-sel, but w/o a mobo to test on I
> > let it pass.  If you're game to test a patch for me, I'd be glad to
> > implement it into ipmi-sel.  I'm busy right now, so it may take some
> > time for me to get a patch together.
>
> I can try to understand/dive into ipmi-sel and come up with something
> for review. This would definitely be the better place to implement
> this feature.
> But first I have to find an issue with the SDR cache: Al any idea why
> Get SDR might try to read only 5 Bytes from Offset 0 instead of the
> previous 16bytes when reading the last record 1770 (see attached debug
> output)?

The attachment got dropped by my filters, so I'll have to take a guess
for now (if you can resend w/ just the last few K of the debug dump,
that should be enough for me to figure it out.  Or alternately, passing
--enable-debug and --enable-trace to ./configure can get a detailed
trace).

I'm not quite sure what you meant by "5 Bytes from Offset 0 instead of
the previous 16bytes" (perhaps it's an obvious bug that the debug dump
would show).  The 5 bytes is likely the "read" of the SDR header.  So if
it fails on record 1770, perhaps there is something kooky in the header
that FreeIPMI bails on?

Al