Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Fujitsu's iRMC S2 - support for reading/writing of

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Fujitsu's iRMC S2 - support for reading/writing of some configspace variables within ipmi-oem
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:39:57 -0700

Hi Dan,

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 02:09 -0700, Dan Lukes wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The Fujitsu's iRMC has implemented proprietary function for
> reading/writing internal configuration variables.
>
> Some of them hold the informations related to host operating system -
> for example OS version, hostname, system location and so on.
>
> Then they are shown on (for example) CLI and WWW interface of iRMC. It's
> important especially when you have several boxes - without such
> identification and with several sessions opened to different computers
> it's hard to distinguish which window is which.
>
> On supported operating OSes those variables are set by ServerView
> drivers. On unsupported OSes they are not set.
>
> The IPMI interface for reading/writing configspace is proprietary
> interface not documented by FSC. I consulted some aspect of problem with
> Holger Liebig, but it changes nothing on previous sentence - I get no
> documentation of the interface from H.L nor FSC.
>
> Despite of it I have working implementation in the form of patch against
> version 0.8.9 of ipmi-oem. It's tested on PRIMERGY RX100 S5 firmware
> 3.77A but it should work on similar system as well - and (more
> important) - in the case it doesn't work, it should not harm.

So I take it you reverse engineered it in some fashion?

> The resulting implementation work this way:
> 1 (write):
> ipmi-oem Fujitsu set-system-info SystemName "$( hostname )"
>
> 2 (read):
> ipmi-oem Fujitsu get-system-info SystemName
> SystemName="master7.m<censored>z"
>

> List of configspace variables I can read/write now:
>
> Key: CabinetLocation <string> /* SNMP SysLocation */
> Key: SystemName <string>
> Key: SystemDescription <string>
> Key: SystemContact <string> /* SNMP SysContact */
> Key: ServerCabinetModel <string>
> Key: ServerChassisModel <string>
> Key: ServerSerialNumber <string>
> Key: SystemIP0 <IPv4 (A.B.C.D)>
> Key: SystemIP1 <IPv4 (A.B.C.D)>
> Key: SystemIP2 <IPv4 (A.B.C.D)>
> Key: SystemIP3 <IPv4 (A.B.C.D)>
> Key: ServerOperatingSystem <string>
> Key: AssetTAG <string>
>
> My implementation is generic, it's easy to add support for other
> variables (I know many other than those listed above), but we need to be
> careful as blind playing with configspace may cause BMC malfunction.
>
> Well - after this long prologue, the question is simple.
>
> I don't know the project policy related to implementation of
> undocumented function. Are you interested to implement such think in
> public release of freeipmi ?

Generally speaking, I am willing to accept undocumented IPMI support.
However, I do wish to be on good terms with all the vendors.  I
certainly don't want to tick off some vendor by putting something into
FreeIPMI they want to keep proprietary for some reason.

I know Holger regularly reads this mailing list.  If he or anyone from
Fujitsu offers a blessing of sorts, then we can iterate through it and
eventually get this into FreeIPMI.

Regardless of what we do, I think it'd be nice to get it published so
others that are interested in it would be able to download it and patch
their version of FreeIPMI themselves.

Al