Re: [Freeipmi-devel] fiid_obj_get: maximum_privilege_for_cipher_suite_3

From: Al Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] fiid_obj_get: maximum_privilege_for_cipher_suite_3: no data set
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:55:05 -0800

Hi Peter,

Assuming you're using a recent version of FreeIPMI, there's probably
some IPMI non-compliance going on on your motherboard.  The short guess
is that the motherboard isn't properly reporting things to bmc-config
correctly, and bmc-config gets confused and gives up.  There's been a
few IPMI issues for the HP DL145 already reported to me. Lets see if we
can figure out what's going on.  Can you send me the --debug output.
Since the problem appears just in that section, how about running this
to shorten the output

bmc-config --checkout --section=Rmcpplus_Conf_Privilege --debug

> Any idea what could be wrong, or how to fix it?  And could this be the
> reason the network won't come up?

Although it's always possible, it's unlikely this is the cause of IPMI
over LAN not working.  Can you get an ipmiping (/usr/sbin/ipmiping) to
work?  If yes that would point to it being an authentication problem
(e.g. username/password/privilege, etc.), if no, possibly a more basic
networking issue (subnetting, routing, etc.).

I haven't played with this motherboard specifically, but a few recent
ones I've encountered require you to hard-reset (e.g. power button push)
the motherboard for configuration changes to "stick".  It certainly
can't hurt to try.

Al