[Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun ma

From: Frank Steiner
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Re: FreeIPMI beta w/ BMC watchdog workaround for Sun machines
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:53:29 +0100

Dave Love wrote

> says ps, where I need the -D on x4100 or x4200m2 to avoid
>
>   bmc-watchdog:  Get Watchdog Timer Error: BMC Busy

Just ran into this (and -D openipmi didn't work for me) and figured out
that the /etc/init.d/lm_sensors script loads the ipmi_si and ipmi_msghandler
modules on our Sun machines. I didn't realize figure out the problem for
some time because the ipmi service itself was disabled in the runlevels
and so I didn't even think of the kernel modules :-)

Maybe a little warning from the bmc-watchdog binary when ipmi kernel modules
are loaded when running on a Sun machine could help others to avoid this?

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/