Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Question regarding windows version

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Question regarding windows version
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 13:36:29 -0800

> It's great to see that this thread is still alive.
> I've some Windows server that are IPMI capable, under the hand.
> And I'm seriously considering the option of a mingw port of FreeIPMI,
> and would be pouring some resources into this effort.
> A member of my team very quickly tried a compilation, but it has been
> so miserably failing that he thrown the towel almost instantly...
>
> So, would you be considering a mingw effort?
> How could we help and synchronize?

I hadn't heard of mingw until now, so I'll have to look at that at some
point.

Awhile back I made sure that FreeIPMI would compile under cygwin, but my
Windows box didn't have IPMI and I left it at the "if it compiles, I'll
assume it works" stage.  Longer term, I am more interested in it working
"natively".

I'm very amenable to patches from the community to simply support a
Windows build.  We can iterate over them on the mailing list, or if
someone out there wants to discuss steps to move forward before pouring
in effort, that's cool too.

I guess I'm not entirely sure of the steps in the right direction.  I
don't have experience developing Windows applications natively, and w/o
a box to test/play on, I sort of can't start learning/fiddling.

Al