Re: [Freeipmi-devel] ipmi configuration security best practices

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] ipmi configuration security best practices
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:25:33 -0800

On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 08:36 -0800, dan farmer wrote:
> Thanks Andy - a few remarks below.
>
> On Feb 19, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Andy Cress <address@hidden> wrote:
> > RE 5. 20-character passwords
> > This assumes that all deployed platforms are IPMI 2.0, since IPMI 1.5
> > platforms only support 16-character passwords.  There are still some
> > IPMI 1.5 platforms in use out there.
>
> Without a doubt.  I was meaning if supported, I'll clarify (and use 16 if
> that's all you can; mixing is probably ill-advised ;))
>
> BTW - does the 'test password' operation that checks to see if 20 byte
> passwords are used mean that a password is 17-20 bytes long?  I tried
> to read the spec carefully on this but it wasn't clear to me on *when*
> passwords are stored as 20 bytes.

My recollection is hazy, but I don't think it does what you want.  What
it does is check if you stored the password in a 16 or 20 byte buffer,
b/c you can store a password <=16 bytes into a 20 byte buffer (w/ padded
0s).  So if I store the password "FOOBAR" in a 16 byte buffer, it fails
a check if I say "is FOOBAR the password stored in a 20 byte buffer."

> > RE 12. Disable gratuitous ARP replies
> > The description here is a bit off.  There are two bits to be
> > configured for gratuitous ARPs:
> > Sending Gratuitous ARPs from the BMC, and enabling responses from the
> > BMC to ARPs.
> > The BMC firmware must support one or both mechanisms.  I think you
> > mean to recommend disabling >sending< gratuitous ARPs, which is good
> > as long as the firmware supports enabling replies/responses to ARPs
> > instead (not all implementations support both).
>
> Must?  I thought it was optional (13.11.3 BMC-generated ARPs says
> "A BMC LAN implementation may support BMC-generated Gratuitous
> ARPs or BMC-generated ARP responses.")  Given who you are I trust
> you more than my reading of the spec, which may well have been taken
> out of context of the spec or is outdated, but can you clarify?

I think what Andy means is that pretty much all vendors support 1 or the
other.  I do think that it's possible a vendor can support neither
(which means users would have to manually set the BMC MAC in their ARP
cache). I've never heard of a vendor supporting neither though.