Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Retrieving BIOS information via IPMI

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-devel] Retrieving BIOS information via IPMI
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 01:16:00 -0800

> When I received my trial license of the SUM software from SuperMicro, they =
> needed my BMC MAC address to get me an activation code.  I then had to acti=
> vate via the command line (communicating with the BMC).

Very nice!  A hidden backdoor in all the SuperMicro hardware, secured
by the MAC address as 'password', and some security-by-obscurity easily
reverse-engineered by checking the SUM software or BMC firmware.

Not that it's any worse than the rest of IPMI.  NSA must be all over
this as a way to subvert systems.

        John