[Freeipmi-devel] Set FD_CLOEXEC for ipmi driver device file.

From: Maksym Planeta
Subject: [Freeipmi-devel] Set FD_CLOEXEC for ipmi driver device file.
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 20:45:37 +0100

Hello,

I found a possible security vulnerability in libfreeipmi, which may affect software which runs under super user and uses this library.

I have to admit that I did not test this patch, because I even failed to compile the library correctly. But the code is straightforward. I took it almost literally from the POSIX standard.

An application, where this shortcoming pops up is SLURM. When, for example, it is run with an energy plugin, which opens /dev/ipmi0, every user process, which is started inside job allocation, has file /dev/ipmi0 open. Although typical rights for this file are rw-------

There is also a discussion on what /dev/ipmi0 access rights should be:

https://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2009-August/039914.html

--
Regards,
Maksym Planeta