Re: [Freeipmi-users] Tyan Thunder S2882 with m3289 bmc module

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Tyan Thunder S2882 with m3289 bmc module
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:27:45 -0800

,----[ "Jan Tiri" <address@hidden> ]
| This is probably off-topic, but since there is a lack of information
| on the internet I would like to try my luck here.
`----
Anything related to IPMI!.

,----[ "Jan Tiri" <address@hidden> ]
| I have a Tyan Thunder S2882 with m3289 bmc module, which is
| perfectly recognized by the system. The server has 2 broadcom giga
| NICs and one
| intel pro100;
| intel eth0: 192.168.1.100 - 00:E0:81:2D:8D:F7
| broadcom eth1: none - 00:E0:81:2D:9B:36
| broadcom eth2: none - 00:E0:81:2D:9B:37
|
| Please note the internal ip address will be replaced by a registered
| one when put in production.
`----
For your information, On S2882, IPMI works only on intel pro100. So you
will have to run one cable to intel pro100 for platform management and
one cable to broadcom gige for actual application use. How ever it is
possible to use intel pro100 for both, if you do not care about
bandwidth.

The newer S2881 motherboards supports IPMI on broadcom gige. It also
has better cooling, because CPUs are located side by side next to the
blower.

,----[ "Jan Tiri" <address@hidden> ]
| >From all the (correct ?) information I collected, I configured my
| BMC with the same IP/MAC address as the one configured in my system
| (eth0) and I would assume something should listen on ports 623 and
| 664/udp. Well ...  not :) I also tried the eth1 interface, same
| result.
`----
BMC hooks into the Ethernet controller and steals every copy of data
coming in. If any packet matches UDP:port623 and IPMI signature, BMC
responds. It does not matter if your system is running or has OS
installed.

,----[ "Jan Tiri" <address@hidden> ]
| Anyway, the output of the freeipmi tools is looking good, so I could
| think(/hope) it's a bad variable. All by all, I want a server which
| I can reset from a distance when it comes unavailable for whatever
| reason, something I also could manage with the watchdog function. It
| would be nice if I can hook a console over IPMI (I'm using linux)
| but as I understand, this is for IPMI 2.0 (I have 1.5) and is now
| something proprierty for Tyan. Something possible ?
|
| EndSection
| Section Serial_Channel
| Error in checkout of key <Volatile_Access_Mode>
| Error in checkout of key <Volatile_Enable_User_Level_Auth>
| Error in checkout of key <Volatile_Enable_Per_Message_Auth>
| Error in checkout of key <Volatile_Enable_Pef_Alerting>
| Error in checkout of key <Volatile_Channel_Privilege_Limit>
| Error in checkout of key <Non_Volatile_Access_Mode>
| ..
`----
These are errors are OK to ignore. Tyan has not implemented complete
IPMI 1.5 specification. And you probably don't need them.

I have got the proprietary serial over LAN (console) specification
from Tyan, but still waiting for them to give me permission to use it
in a free software project.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>