Re: [Freeipmi-users] bmc-info hangs

From: Bala.A
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] bmc-info hangs
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:45:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi Edward,

> I've d/led and installed freeipmi-0.1.3 rpms, and can't get it working. If
> run
> "bmc-info" it hangs (waited for more than 10 mins, then Ctrl-C'ed it). If
> I run
> "bmc-config --checkout", then I get the following:
> Section User1
>         ## Give username
>         Username                                     Anonymous
>         ## Give password or leave it blank to clear password
>         Password
>
> And then it hangs too..after quite a long time (20-30 mins) it returns the
> prompt.
> Also if I run from other machine "ipmipower -h <the_server> -u anonymous
> -p
> --stat", then I get the "ipmipower>" prompt, but every command there
> (stat,
> reset, and whatnot) ends with "permission denied" reply.
> I must be missing something on the configuration/installation side..
>
> Setup details:
> Server: Intel SE7520BD2 (64bit EM), latest BIOS
> OS: RedHat Adv. Server 3
> RPMS installed:
> freeipmi-utils-0.1.3-0.20041102
> freeipmi-devel-0.1.3-0.20041102
> freeipmi-0.1.3-0.20041102
> freeipmi-fish-0.1.3-0.20041102

I have checked the motherboard specification.  It seems you are using
Default mBMC (Tier 1 -- Essentials).  The default mBMC version does not
support many features.  I think, mBMC does not listen in standard KCS port
or there is no KCS interface.

Intel says, there are Flexible Management Module (Standard and Advanced
version) for this motherboard, which is supporting IPMI 2.0.

freeipmi 0.1.3 supports KCS interface for in-band operations.  We need to
have KCS in this motherboard.

You can check Intel tools with this motherboard and let me know they are
working or not.

BTW, you can try freeipmi cvs source version.  We are very close for next
freeipmi release.

Thanks,

Best Regards
Bala