Re: [Freeipmi-users] fish crashes with "Segmentation fault" at startup

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] fish crashes with "Segmentation fault" at startup
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:44:37 -0800

Hi Rob,

Thanks for figuring this out and finding the bug.  I have submitted a
bug for Balamarugan to fix this.  I think it is a bug for fish to assume
the user has a home directory.  I've asked that if a home directory
isn't found, then fish should instead fall back to some default location
(/var or /tmp or something).

Regarding bmc-info, does bmc-info actually return and not output
anything? Or does the the command hang and not do anything?

The later (usually) indicates that libfreeipmi is having trouble finding
the default KCS port to read/write data to the BMC.  Since this is an
embedded system of some sort I would assume the KCS port might not be
the default (and the 0.1.3 release has some difficulty finding the
non-default ports).

I believe you can set the alternate default port in /etc/fish.scm for
FreeIPMI 0.1.3.  Hopefully your system doesn't have register spacing
issues, b/c that might require you to use a newer version we have
checked into CVS.

I think you can determine your systems default port through:

dmidecode | grep -i ipmi --context=10

The context of 10 should be enough to show you all the info you need.

LMK how it goes,