Re: [Freeipmi-users] OK, i give...

From: Anand Babu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] OK, i give...
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:04:04 -0800

,----[ Karl Hanzel <address@hidden> ]
| I'm interested in using 'ipmipower' to control the up/down'ness of a
| host.  Of course there must be some form of
| authentication/authorization involved, but it's not immediately
| obvious how to set this up.
|
| How does one set a user/password witm bmc-config?  Or am i barking
| up the wrong tree?
`----
I usually try with simple or no authentication to get the basic IPMI
working. Then experiment with advanced options.

There is a tool in CVS called bmc-autoconfig which has a curses dialog
wizard which helps you easily configure the BMC.

Other options are
 - I can send you a simple bmc.conf file.
 - Give us remote access
 - Bring us the system, we will configure it for you.

,----[ Karl Hanzel <address@hidden> ]

| If i simply do a
|
|    bmc-config --checkout --filename=/tmp/tmp
|
| followed immediately (no editing of /tmp/tmp) by a
|
|   bmc-config --commit --filename=/tmp/tmp
|
| i get the following output:
|
|    Commit Section <User2> Key <Username> Value <Operator> FAILED
|    Commit Section <User3> Key <Username> Value <Administrator> FAILED
|    Commit Section <User4> Key <Username> Value <CallBack> FAILED
|    Commit Section <Misc> Key <Power_Restore_Policy> Value
|    <Off_State_Ac_Apply> FAILED
`----

This means,
 * your BMC supports one "anonymous" user only, which is mandatory
 according to IPMI spec. Otherwise the BMC vendor may choose to
 implement up to 4. Anonymous user has no user name (blank).

 * Off_State_Ac_Apply not supported.

Seems OK. Use anonymous userid only.

It will help, if you please let us know your motherboard, output of
bmc-info and "bmc-config -o".

Happy Hacking,
--
Anand Babu